New World Fishing Guide: Fishing Hot Spots, Fish Oil & More
from amazon New world emphasizes collecting and crafting, and like any MMO worth its salt, it has a sturdy fishing system that you can easily spend hours on end.
The fishing system in New world However, it can get confusing quickly even if you are just trying to get some fish oil or make your own fishing rod. With that in mind, here is everything you need to know about fishing in New world.
How to fish in the New World
The first step to fishing is having a fishing rod, which means making one. You can easily get a basic fishing rod, as you will only need fiber and green wood.
Fiber can be found in hemp (tall plants with purple flowers) and green wood can be obtained by harvesting any bush or tree. Once you’ve made your way to a crafting table, be sure to go to your character menu and equip the pole.
Now, whenever you go exploring, a prompt will appear when you are near a body of water, allowing you to press F3 to start fishing. Now for the actual act of fishing here is a basic walkthrough.
- Press R and equip the bait you want
- Left click and a bar will appear, the fuller the bar, the further you will cast your line.
- When the line moves and the words “Get Ready” appear next to your line, left click to catch the fish.
- A tension gauge will appear and you want to keep the tension in the green, so when it starts to turn orange, release the winding
- Once the bar is full, you will succeed in catching the fish
Find a bait
You don’t have to use bait when fishing in New world, but it can dramatically increase your chances of catching fish, so it’s usually a good idea. There is a wide range of different baits that give you a bonus in either freshwater or saltwater. Below are details of all bait options.
- Bait Bread (Sweet Water) – Found in containers or crafted in the Level 2 Kitchen Crafting Station
- Cheese bait (salt water) – Found in containers or crafted in the Level 2 Kitchen Crafting Station
- Clam bait (freshwater) – Harvested clams
- Firefly bait (freshwater) – Harvested from bulrush and heather plants
- Fish bait (salt water) – Crafted at Level 1 Camp or Level 2 Kitchen Crafting Station
- Glowworm bait (salt water) – Harvested from Flint only at night
- Meat Bait (Freshwater) – Crafted in Level 1 Camp or Level 2 Cooking Craft Station
- Nightcrawler bait (saltwater) – Harvested by Flint in the day
- Oyster bait (freshwater) – Harvested from oysters
- Snail bait (salt water) – Harvested snails
- Bait for woodlice (freshwater) – Found when harvesting bushes
Find fishing hot spots in the New World
While you can fish just about anywhere in New world, you’ll want to keep an eye out for fishing hotspots as they appear. On the map you can see these represented by a fish icon with one to three stars next to that. The number of stars represents rarity as follows: one star is a large fishing spot, two stars a rare fishing spot, and three stars a secret fishing spot.
To see the fishing hot spots, you will need to improve your fishing skills in New world, which is done, you guessed it, by fishing. If you need help finding these hot spots, you can use this interactive fan-made map.
Obtain fish oil
As you start to craft more in New world you will notice that fish oil is a resource that you will constantly need, especially if you plan to cook a lot.
The only way to get fish oil is to catch fish and then collect said fish from your menu. You are not always guaranteed to get fish oil when fetching, so if you want to get a lot of it you will have to catch a lot of fish.
Fishing levels and obtaining new rods
As with other trading skills, Fishing has 200 levels, each with the bonus of being able to find more hot spots. If you’re looking to level up quickly, you’ll want to use APs as much as possible, as they provide the most XP.
If there aren’t any hot spots nearby, however, your best bet is to fish at deep depths like the ocean or a deep lake. If you’re also looking to absolutely maximize your fishing time, you’ll want to position yourself where you don’t have to cast your line all the way. At the same time, be sure to use bait to increase your chances of catching bigger and more valuable fish.
Another aspect that can help you quickly increase your fishing level is the making and equipping of a better fishing rod. There are five different “grades” of posts you can craft, but using special resources during crafting can add specific benefits. These perks will change the way you fish, such as the “Lucky Day” perk which increases your chances of catching rarer fish during the day. It’s a good idea to experiment when making fishing rods, to see what you might get. Now here are the different poles to make.
- Wooden fishing rod – 1 green wood, 1 fiber
- Treated wood fishing rod – 12 wood, 3 coarse leather, 3 linen
- Aged wood fishing rod – 13 wood, 3 coarse leather, 2 linen
- Wyrdwood fishing rod – 14 Wyrdwood boards, 3 coarse leather, 2 linen
- Ironwood fishing rod – 15 iron wood planks, 3 coarse leather, 2 linen
In terms of obtaining these resources; Linen is made from fiber at the loom station, coarse leather is made from four raw hides at the tannery, wood is refined from timber and Wyrdwood / Ironwood is refined from ‘trees of the same name.
This covers everything you could possibly need to know about fishing in New world. If you need additional help during your adventure, be sure to check out our other New world guides.